The Bartolomeu Dias museum complex
. The Mossel Bay museum was first opened in the 1960s. The museum later became known as the Post Tree Museum Complex. In 1989. The Museum Complex was launched on 3 February 1989 and called The Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex.
The Bartolomeu Dias museum complex consists of:
- The Granary
Here you can see examples of plants found in the Mossel Bay area
- The Shell Museum
Erected in 1902, next to the Post Office Tree, as an extension to the old mil,l this was mainly used as a store.
- The Post Tree
In 1500 Pedro de Ataide, Commander of one of Cabral’s ships, on his return journey from the east, left a letter of importance in a shoe or iron pot under or near a large tree.
- Botanical Garden
The Braille trail makes it accessible to visually-impaired people so that they can read about, feel and smell the wonderful collection.
- The Fountain
Dias named the fresh-water spring “Aguada de São Bras” (watering place of St Blaize).
- The Munrohoek Cottages
The first building was built around 1830 by Alexander Munro from Scotland for £25.
- The Malay Graves
This site was discovered in 1968, not far from the Post Office Tree.
- The Field Garden
The valley and beach adjacent to the museum complex is today known as Munro’s Bay.
1 Market Street, Mossel Bay,
Museum website